Canada eTA from Australia
Australia is one of the fifty (50) plus countries that are visa-exempt, which means that Australians do not need a visa to visit Canada. Instead, Australians must obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada.
The Canada eTA was launched in 2015 by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to pre-screen international travelers to Canada, including Australian people, and determine their eligibility.
The system's use has reduced visa applications and allowed authorities to process foreign visitors more efficiently, resulting in shorter wait times and shorter lines at Customs and Immigration.
Canada eTA is required to visit Canada from Australia
The Canada electronic travel authorization is exclusively available to Australians flying into Canada.
The Canadian eTA for Australians is intended for visitors to Canada with the following goals:
- Tourism, particularly short-term guest stays.
- Excursions for business.
- Traveling through Canada on my way to another country.
- Consultation or medical attention.
Most foreigners transiting through Canada require a visa. Australians with the eTA, on the other hand, can travel without a visa if they use a Canadian airport for both entry and departure.
The ability to reside or work in Canada is not included in the Canada eTA for Australians.
Because the Canadian eTA is completely electronic, every passenger must have a machine-readable passport. Although all contemporary Australian passports are machine-readable, travellers should check with the Australian passport office if they have any concerns about the authenticity of their documents.
How to Fill the Canada eTA Application for Australians Entering Canada?
Fill up the Canada eTA application form.
Pay for the eTA
Use a credit or debit card to pay the Canada eTA cost.
Receive Canada eTA
Get Approved Canada eTA by email.
To be eligible for the eTA, Australian individuals must complete a simple online application form and include some basic personal information, such as:
- Name and nationality.
- Information from a passport, such as the passport number, Passport issue and expiration dates
- Health related questions
- Questions around any prior convictions
Canada eTA checklist
- Travelers should apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to Canada for Australian nationals at least 72 hours before departure to allow for the processing of their papers and the issue of the authorization.
- By paying the eTA charge, Australian applicants who need to fly to Canada quickly can select the 'Urgent assured processing in less than 1 hour' option. This ensures that the eTA will be processed within 60 minutes of submission and is the ideal choice for individuals whose travel to Canada departs in less than 24 hours.
- Australian nationals can apply for the eTA using a desktop, tablet, or mobile device. The authorization can be obtained quickly and easily, and it will be securely and electronically delivered to the applicant's email address.
- It is recommended that all information on the application form be reviewed for accuracy before submission. Any inaccuracies or omissions may cause the Canada eTA for Australian citizens to be delayed or rejected. The most important fields that must match the Passport exactly are: First Name, Family Name, Passport Date of Issue and Expiry.
- The Canadian eTA is electronically linked to the applicant's Australian passport after acceptance and is valid for 5 years. There is no need to print anything, and no documents are required to be shown at the airport.
Australians Going to Canada: What are the eTA Requirements?
Several conditions must be satisfied in order to be eligible for the Canada eTA.
Each applicant must have:
- An Australian passport that is valid for at least 6 months after the proposed travel date.
- A valid credit or debit card to cover the eTA charge.
- A current email address.
To apply for a Canada eTA, you must be an Australian citizen. Refugees and temporary residents, as well as travelers with temporary passports or other travel documents with a different status, must apply for a Canada Visitor Visa.
Every eTA candidate must be over the age of 18 at the time of application. Minors must have a parent or legal guardian fill out the application on their behalf. Anyone requesting an eTA for Australian nationals must also provide some basic personal information as the minor's guardian or agent.
Applicants are allowed to enter Canada several times within the five (5)year period and can stay for up to six (6) months on each trip. Border officials will determine the duration of the eTA holder's permission to stay in Canada upon arrival, and this information will be noted on the passport. The traveler is required to leave the country on or before the date specified on their passport. Australian passport holders may request a stay extension in Canada if they do it at least 30 days before the conclusion of their vacation.
What Are the Ports Of Entry To Canada For People Visiting with Canada?
Canada eTA for Australian citizens is only required if you are entering Canada by an airport. Otherwise, a valid Passport is required to enter by seaport or land border crossing.
- Airports: Visitors can enter Canada through any of the major airports in the country, including Toronto Pearson International Airport, Vancouver International Airport, and Montreal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport. Visitors will be required to present their eVisa and other travel documents, such as a passport, at the immigration counter upon arrival.
- Seaports: Visitors can also enter Canada through seaports, such as the Port of Halifax, Port of Montreal, and Port of Vancouver. Visitors arriving by sea will also be required to present their eVisa and travel documents at the immigration counter upon arrival.
- Land border crossings: Visitors can enter Canada by land through several border crossings, including the Peace Arch Border Crossing in British Columbia and the Rainbow Bridge Border Crossing in Ontario. Visitors will be required to present their eVisa and travel documents at the immigration counter upon arrival.
It is important to note that visitors with an eVisa must ensure that they enter Canada through the designated port of entry indicated on their eVisa. Failure to do so may result in their entry being denied.
Canada has several ports of entry that visitors with an eVisa can use to enter the country, including airports, seaports, and land border crossings. Visitors must ensure that they enter Canada through the designated port of entry indicated on their eVisa and present their eVisa and travel documents at the immigration counter upon arrival.
What Are the Canadian Embassies In Australia?
There are two Canadian embassies in Australia, one located in the national capital of Canberra and the other in the largest city of Sydney. Here is the information for each:
High Commission of Canada in Canberra
Address: Commonwealth Avenue, Yarralumla, ACT 2600, Australia
Phone: +61 2 6270 4000
Email: [email protected]
Consulate General of Canada in Sydney
Address: Level 5, Quay West Building, 111 Harrington Street, Sydney, NSW 2000, Australia
Phone: +61 2 9364 3000
Email: [email protected]
What Are The Australian Embassies In Canada?
The Australian government maintains one embassy and four consulates in Canada:
Australian High Commission in Ottawa
Address: 50 O'Connor Street, Suite 710, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 6L2
Phone: +1 613-236-0841
Australian Consulate-General in Toronto
Address: 175 Bloor Street East, South Tower, Suite 1100, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 3R8
Phone: +1 416-323-4280
Australian Consulate in Vancouver
Address: Suite 2050, 1075 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6E 3C9
Phone: +1 604-684-1177
Australian Consulate in Calgary
Address: Suite 240, 708 11 Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta, T2R 0E4
Phone: +1 403-508-1122
Australian Consulate in Montreal
Address: 2000 Mansfield Street, Suite 700, Montreal, Quebec, H3A 2Z6
Phone: +1 514-499-0550
What Is the Top Place To Visit In Canada For Australian Visitors?
Canada has a diverse range of attractions to offer visitors from Australia. The top place to visit in Canada for Australian visitors depends on their interests, but here are some popular options:
- Niagara Falls: Niagara Falls is a world-famous attraction, drawing millions of visitors every year. It is located on the border between Canada and the United States and is easily accessible from Toronto, which is just a short drive away.
- Banff National Park: Banff National Park is a stunning natural attraction in the Rocky Mountains of Alberta. Visitors can enjoy hiking, skiing, and other outdoor activities, as well as taking in the breathtaking scenery.
- Vancouver: Vancouver is a vibrant city on the west coast of Canada, known for its stunning natural surroundings and diverse cultural scene. Visitors can explore Stanley Park, Granville Island, and the city's many museums and galleries.
- Montreal: Montreal is a lively and historic city in the province of Quebec, known for its European charm and vibrant arts scene. Visitors can explore the old town, take in a show at the Montreal Jazz Festival, or enjoy the city's famous culinary scene.The Canada eTA for Australian Nationals
- Toronto: Toronto is Canada's largest city and a cultural hub, with a vibrant arts scene and many museums and galleries. Visitors can also explore the iconic CN Tower, take in a game at the Rogers Centre, or explore the city's many neighborhoods and parks.
These are just a few of the top places to visit in Canada for Australian visitors, but there are many more attractions and destinations to explore throughout the country.
What are some interesting things about the Online Canada Visa?
Here are some more interesting things to know about the Canada Visa Online:
- The Canada Visa Online is valid for multiple entries: Unlike a traditional visa, which often only allows a single entry into the country, the Canada Visa Online is valid for multiple entries. This means that travelers can leave and re-enter the country as many times as they need to during the visa's validity period, which can be up to 10 years.
- It's faster and more convenient than a traditional visa: Applying for a traditional visa can be a lengthy and complicated process, involving visits to embassies or consulates, interviews, and lots of paperwork. By contrast, the Canada Visa Online can be applied for entirely online, and the processing time is usually much faster.
- The Canada Visa Online is linked to your passport: When you apply for a Canada Visa Online, the visa is electronically linked to your passport. This means that you don't need to carry a physical visa document with you when you travel - your visa information will be accessible to border officials electronically.
- The Canada Visa Online is available in multiple languages: The application for the Canada Visa Online can be completed in multiple languages, including English, French, Spanish, and more. This makes the process easier and more accessible for travelers who speak languages other than English.
- You may need additional documentation to enter Canada: While the Canada Visa Online allows you to travel to Canada, you may still need to provide additional documentation when you arrive at the border. For example, you may be asked to provide proof of funds, a return ticket, or a letter of invitation from a Canadian resident. It's important to research the specific requirements for your trip before you depart.
It's important to note that even if a citizen of one of these countries is eligible for an eTA, they must still meet all other entry requirements, such as having a valid passport, being in good health, and having no criminal history or other issues that could make them inadmissible to Canada.
The Canada eTA is offered to Australian visitors flying into Canada for tourism, business, transiting through Canada en route to another nation, or seeking advice or medical care. Candidates must have a machine-readable passport, complete an online application form, and answer a few safety and health concerns. The eTA is electronically linked to the applicant's Australian passport and is valid for five years, with tourists permitted to remain for up to six months every trip. The eTA is totally online, and there is no need for Australian nationals to visit an embassy or consulate, making it a quick and straightforward process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible for an Australian to enter Canada without a visa?
To enter Canada visa-free, Australian citizens traveling by air must obtain an eTA. Without a valid electronic travel permission, Australians flying to Canada for vacation or business, or transiting through a Canadian airport, will be denied admission.
Because the eTA application is totally online and can be completed in a matter of minutes, there is no need to submit documents in person at a consulate or embassy.
The same eTA can be used to enter Canada visa-free for 5 years, or until the passport expires.
Australian passport holders with an eTA can stay in Canada for a maximum of 6 months at a time; anyone intending to stay longer must obtain a Canadian visa.
With an eTA, how long can an Australian stay in Canada?
Australian passport holders must obtain an electronic travel permission in advance to enter Canada by plane. Australians with an accepted visa can stay in Canada for up to 180 days if their travel is for one of the reasons permitted under the eTA.
Although the actual period of time an eTA holder can stay in Canada varies, most Australian travellers are permitted a maximum 6-month stay.
A Canadian eTA is valid for multiple entries, whereas Australians with electronic authorisation can make numerous short trips to Canada.
Australian citizens need a visa to stay in Canada for longer than the eTA allows.
Can an Australian benefit from expedited entrance through the eTA program?
The processing timeframes for Canada eTA are quick. It is recommended that travelers submit their request at least one to three business days before their departure date, and most applications are evaluated within 24 hours.
Australians having an eTA will be routed to a Primary Inspection Kiosk upon arrival at one of Canada's main airports. Before being admitted into Canada, visitors must scan their passport and linked eTA.
The procedure is quick and avoids the long lines that are sometimes associated with border inspection.
Australians who need the permission fast should apply through the urgent eTA service for guaranteed processing within 1 hour.
Can citizens of Australia travel to Canada?
Absolutely, all COVID-19 entrance restrictions for Australians traveling to Canada will be eliminated on September 30, 2022.
Yet, travel guidelines might change quickly, so we urge that you review Canada's most recent entry criteria and restrictions on a regular basis.
Australia is one of fifty nations whose nationals are not required to obtain a visa in order to visit Canada. Instead, they must enter the country with a digital travel permit, commonly known as an eTA. The eTA was launched by Canadian authorities in 2015 to pre-screen overseas travelers, including Australian people, to determine their eligibility. The eTA system has enabled officials to more efficiently process international visitors, resulting in shorter wait times and shorter lines at customs and immigration.
Can I apply for an eTA on arrival in Canada?
No, you must apply for an eTA before your departure from Australia. Canadian authorities will not grant you entry without an approved eTA.
How long does it take to get an eTA for Canada from Australia?
Typically, it takes only a few minutes to fill out the eTA application form online. However, it may take up to several days for the Canadian authorities to process your application and issue an approved eTA. Therefore, it's recommended to apply for an eTA at least 72 hours before your departure date.
What if I need to travel to Canada urgently?
If you need to travel to Canada urgently, you can select the 'Urgent guaranteed processing in less than 1 hour' option when paying the eTA fee. This guarantees that your eTA application will be processed within 60 minutes of submitting it.
Can I use my eTA for multiple trips to Canada?
Yes, once you are approved for an eTA, it is valid for multiple trips to Canada during a period of 5 years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
How long can I stay in Canada with an eTA?
If you are an Australian citizen with an eTA, you can stay in Canada for up to six months for each visit. The length of your stay will be determined by Canadian border officials upon your arrival in Canada and will be listed in your passport.
Can I work or study in Canada with an eTA?
No, the eTA is only for tourism, business, passing through Canada en route to another country, or consultation or medical care. If you want to work or study in Canada, you will need to apply for a different type of visa or permit.
Overall, obtaining an eTA for Canada from Australia is a straightforward process that can be completed entirely online. As long as you meet the eligibility criteria and submit accurate information, you can expect a smooth entry into Canada without the need for a visa.